Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Job Interview

I have been writing about my search for a new job for a few weeks now.  I had 2 interviews with one very small company to be their Executive Admin/Office Manager.  All of the guys in this company were really awesome, but I just didn't think I would be a good fit.  This worked out for the best as they selected someone else for the role.  I know they will be much happier with their new person.  I am so used to working for Fortune 500 companies.  I tried working for a small company after being at Dell and it just wasn't for me.

The Wednesday before I left for Hawaii, I was called by someone at HP for a Portfolio Manager position.  Turns out, this was the position my friend's husband recommended me for and the hiring manager was impressed by my resume.  The person I spoke to was impressed with our conversation and passed on his comments to the hiring manager.  I ended up having a phone interview with her yet that evening in between getting my parents settled and packing to leave the next morning before the birds were even up.  The interview went very well and the hiring manager wanted me to come on-site to meet the executives I would be working with.  While I was on vacation, they scheduled my interview.  I had my interview yesterday (Monday) and it was over 5 hours long.  Throughout my career, I have never really had to interview for the positions I held, so this was a first for me.  It was grueling.  My brain was total mush the last hour and my last interview was with the hiring manager.  She asked some really hard questions and I struggled to answer them.  So I left feeling really unsure about this really awesome opportunity.  She is interviewing a few more people this week and will make her decision and let us know by next week. The wait is causing me to second guess myself, but I know things happen for a reason and God will provide for me.  I'm trying not to get my hopes up, just in case.  The good thing is the all of my other interviews went really well and I felt good about those.  I knew 3 of the 4 interviewers from my past life at Dell.

Now I wait and hope that this is the opportunity for me.  I know I can make a difference on this team and I am so excited about how close this whole organization is.  I picked up on that immediately.  The VP's admin later confirmed how close this organization is.  That is rare.

So, as I wait and pray this is the job for me, I get to spend my next few weeks training the person who will be taking over my job at AMD.  They hired another contractor instead of keeping me.  I don't have very nice thoughts about all of this, so I will need to keep those to myself!!!

0 comments: