Saturday, November 10, 2012

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

I read many, many blogs to get ideas for various things as well as to learn about new techniques, etc.  Several bloggers have written about Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (ASCP) and how awesome it is when wanting to re-paint furniture.

We are getting ready to add on a room to the back of our house as well as put in hard wood floors throughout the first floor.  So in preparation for this new addition, I decided my dining room table and 2 chairs needed a face lift.  They are quite old, but in really good condition and I couldn't see getting rid of them when they are still useful.  So.... I decided to try out the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  I purchased Old Violet (which is a blue/gray) and Old White.  I failed to get a picture of our table before I painted it, but I did get a picture of one of the chairs.


The table matched the chairs with a wood grain table top and Hunter Green painted base and legs.  With ASCP, you do not need to remove the stain and paint or sand the piece (unless it is in need of smoothing out).  I started on one of my chairs first, then moved on to the table.  I LOVE this paint!  It is so easy to use and it dries very fast (in about 25 minutes).  I painted the seat of the chair, then moved to paint the table top. I used 2 coats of the Old Violet on all 3 pieces and used 3 coats of the Old White.  The green kept peeking through the white, but 3 coats took care of it and I still have a lot of paint let for paint the legs of 4 other chairs that will be at this table (this will be a later post).

Finally after the paint dried, I used the clear Annie Sloan wax on all 3 pieces to help put a finish on them.  This was probably the easiest large project I have ever done and am planning on doing some more furniture with the ASCP.

Here is my finished table and chair.

I love how clean the chair looks


This room is kind of dark, so its hard to get a good picture.
Please excuse the piles of stuff behind the table.  Eventually this will all be organized into the new addition.  I have 4 more chairs that have upholstery on them and I am working on updating those chairs as well.  While the paint is a little pricey for a quart, a little goes a long way and I can probably do 2 (or more) projects with the paint I have left over.   Until next time!

P.S. I'm linking to Funky Junk Interiors Link Party
  
Photobucket

0 comments: